"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone" Oldboy (2003)

Monday 5 November 2012

Diamonds are Forever is the worst Bond film

In this particular session, I had watched the brilliant On Her Majestys Secret Service and then I had to watch Diamonds are Forever, a Bond film that I already didn't like. After watching it, I realized it is even worse than I first thought. DAF suffered from Americanization; an attempt to make Bond American. A move that may have worked but as a result, the film lost its British identity

Firstly though, as I touched upon in a previous post, Sean Connery looked bored as Bond and had also put on a little bit of extra weight, and I actually think that Lazenby could have done a better job, especially with the emotive undertones after the end of OHMSS.

The story is all over the place, it starts as a smuggling story then goes into nuclear war story with Blofeld selling nuclear supremacy. The Bond girl, Tiffany Case is by far one of the weakest. When we first see her, she is confidant and street smart, but by the end of the film, she is a bumbling idiot. Don't get me started on Blofeld. Forget the threatening performances of Donald Pleasence and Telly Savalas  This one isn't scary, isn't threatening and even has to resort to cross-dressing; one of the too many camp overtones found in the film.

Talking about camp, the film boasts the two worst assassins in movie history; Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd. How Bond struggled to kill them and got knocked out by these two I will never know.

I am struggling to think of any good points....................................................OK, I thought of 2, the fight in the elevator between Bond and Franks, and the car chase in Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment